Become A Big Brother or Big Sister
Volunteering is fun! Being a Big Brother or Sister is simple and rewarding. It is as easy as showing your new Little Brother or Sister how to play a favorite computer game, bake an apple pie or reading the funnies together. We’ve learned that being someone special to a child doesn’t take much more than that. But the impact is huge—for both of you!
Big Brothers Needed! Though Big Brothers Big Sisters is always looking for volunteers from all walks of life, right now there is a greater need for men. Being a Big Brother is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do. As a Big Brother, you get to be a kid again for an hour a week while you give a kid the invaluable gift of your friendship. Of the boys waiting for a Big Brother right now, there’s one wanting to play video games, shoot hoops, or just hang out with someone just like you!
Click here to download an informational flyer!
You've been thinking about getting involved. Why not apply to be a Big today?
Becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister is designed to build a match based on shared interests, personality and your volunteer preferences.
Quick Steps to Become a Big
Here are the quick and easy steps we'll walk you through:
2. Interview. A match coordinator will interview you in person, at the location and time most convenient for you.
3. Background Check. Child safety is our priority, so we'll review your records to ensure you'll be a good fit for our program. We do ask volunteers to pay a one time $10 fee for the record checks.
4. References. You'll need to provide three references of people we can talk to about your ability to be a mentor.
5. Training. Training may be offered individually or in a group.
6. Matching. We will review the kids in your area who need a Big Brother or Big Sister and find the best fit for you. Making the right match is important to our commitment to form lasting relationships.
7. Ongoing Support. You won’t be in it alone. Each match is supported by professional Big Brothers Big Sisters staff. Match Support Specialists regularly check in with volunteers, children and parents, and are always available to answer question.
Spending Time with Your Little
Once matched, Big Brothers and Big Sisters develop friendships with their Little Brothers and Little Sisters. Whether playing a computer game or simply hanging out - you bring magic into the life of a child. It's that simple.
Want to make a donation to support our programs? Click here.